Without proper documentation valuable safety information about a fire door may be lost leading to improper maintenance. At a minimum the following should be provided in an inspection report:
- Date of inspection
- Name of facility
- Address of facility
- Name of person(s) performing inspections and testing
- Company name and address of inspecting company
- Signature of inspector of record
- Individual record of each inspected and tested fire door assembly
- Opening identifier and location of each inspected and tested fire door assembly
- Type and description of each inspected and tested fire door assembly
- Listing of deficiencies in accordance with fire door laws
- Verification of visual inspection and functional operation
The correct installation of a fire door is fundamental to it's overall performance, ensuring that the fire door remains reliable to it's fire integrity rating in the event of a fire.
Gales Fire Door Solutions are certified fire door installers and carry out all necessary checks before and after installation to ensure the fire door is properly fitted and will remain reliable if a fire were to occur in the building.
As with any other life-saving product, a fire door should be checked regularly to ensure it functions correctly and is ready to use. It should be considered in exactly the same way as testing a smoke alarm or a fire extinguisher.
If there is any minor alteration to the door or the frame it is built into, this can seriously compromise the door's performance. Fire door checks should be carried out at least every six months or more frequently depending on the door's usage and traffic. The maintenance of a fire door should be carried out by a registered maintainer and should conform to a certified check list to ensure the fire door's integrity.